- If we're supposed to go teach everything Christ has commanded us, well ... what has He commanded us, exactly? We've got lots of commandments of men, trying to place a barrier around the commandments so that we won't break them (prohibitions on piercings, rated R movies, and caffeine come to mind). Christ commanded us to repent, be baptized, and follow Him. Once we're following Him, we'll let Him tell us precisely what else we need to do.
- I very much hope people were listening when he said "we do not receive prizes or bonus points in a heavenly contest" for bringing in new members. That's very true, and very often forgotten.
- "We're not attempting to coerce you to believe as we do." Fair enough, the coercion comes after you're baptized.
- He refers to D&C 68:1 saying we need to proclaim the gospel. That scripture says Orson Hyde was commanded, among other things, to expound scripture. I'd love to hear more scripture expounded in the Church.
- Somehow I have no trouble picturing the two little boys working to patch up the scratched arm
- If we were really so excited to share the gospel, it wouldn't take so much effort to convince us to stop talking about, for instance, "a treatment or medication that alleviates pain with which we have long suffered" and actually share gospel.
- It's helpful also to notice that Lehi's first recorded vision came as he was praying for his people
Thursday, November 5, 2015
"Come and See" By Elder David A. Bednar
Find this talk here.